Guide To Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Huntington Library
PONTIFICAL1. ff. 1-3: Table of contents up to f. 193v, with reference to folio numbers. 2. ff. 3-193: Pontifical.
Southern France (?), s. XIVex
M. Andrieu, Le Pontifical romain au moyen âge, 3 “Le Pontifical de Guillaume Durand.” Studi e Testi 88 (Vatican 1940) 327-662; episcopal oath, interrogation of an abbot and litany as printed; Greek alphabet, f. 84, with names of letters only; frequent marginal notes, s. XV, elaborating on liturgical directions. 3. f. 193r-v: Quando pontifex induit se sacris vestibus pro celebrando missam…Largire sensibus vestris et cetera.
Andrieu, 87. 4. ff. 193v-214: Benedictions for the temporale, the sanctorale (Agnes, Vincent, Conversion of Paul, Purification of the Virgin, Chair of Peter, Matthias, Annunciation, Invention of the Holy Cross, John the Baptist, Peter and Paul, Mary Magdalene, Lawrence, Assumption, Decollation of John the Baptist, Nativity of the Virgin, Exaltation of the Holy Cross, Michael, Francis, All Saints, Martin, Andrew), the common of saints, the dedication of a church, the anniversary of the dedication of a church, the ordination of a bishop, the coronation of a king, in ieiunio, in tempore belli, pro iter agentibus, in prima die synodi, in ii die synodi, in die iii synodi, in consecratione ecclesie super populum, in celebratione ordinum, benedictio monialis, in cotidianis diebus benedictio [2 forms], benedictio ariarum. [f. 214v, blank] 5. Back pastedown (“215” in contemporary foliation): Note in Spanish added in a cursive hand, on the laying of the corner stone, 15 May 1501, for the cloister of the cathedral under the foreman Gonbal de Hory, and the mass said on that occasion by Bishop Guillen Remon de Moncada (Tarazona, 1496-1521) in the chapel of Bishop Andrés (presumably André Martínez Férriz, Bishop of Tarazona, 1486-95); although the name of the town has been completely erased, it was evidently Tarazona. Parchment, ff. iii (parchment) + 214 + ii (parchment); 330 × 245 (214 × 154) mm. 1- 268 276. Catchwords in the lower right corner; quire and leaf signatures apparently in roman numerals with a suprascript letter (cf. ff. 108, 124, 131). 2 columns of 27 lines, ruled in lead. Written in a slightly rounded gothic littera textualis in black and red (for the extensive liturgical directions); music on 4-line red staves. Eighty-eight historiated initials by two artists, 6- to 4-line, in white-patterned blue or pink on ground of the other color, with infilling, againt a gold ground, of bishops performing various offices; the whole initial framed by a narrow gold strip; marginal extensions either as black vines with gold trilobe leaves or as pink and blue vines with colored leaves; the initials on ff. 1 and 3 with C-shaped borders; that on f. 1 includes a coat of arms (see below). For the work of the second artist, the last 18 initials, lightly written instructions visible in the margins; offset outlines of the miniature frames and marginal extensions often impressed upon conjunct leaves, e.g. on f. 153v from the miniature on f. 160, on f. 182 from the miniature on f. 197v. 2-line initials alternating red and blue with pen flourishes of the other color; initials within the text and simple cadel initials in music filled with yellow. Rubrics and contemporary foliation in roman numerals in red. Bound, s. XV, in calf over wooden boards, tooled to form rectangular frames with a 12-pointed star in the center in a pattern associated with Toledo. 2 brass clasps closing from top to bottom, hooks only remaining; rebacked and much repaired. Written in the late fourteenth century, perhaps in southern France. The coat of arms in the lower margin of f. 1 is of the bishopric of Tarazona: 1 and 4, vert a cross moline or voided gules; 2 and 3, or three bars gules, supported by 2 angels (cf. the seal in Enciclopedia universal illustrada, 59, 599). The bishop who first owned the book may have been Pedro Perez Calvillo, Bishop of Tarazona, 1352-91, or his brother, Fernando, Bishop of Tarazona, 1392-1404, who, as Cardinal, attended Benedict XIII in Avignon. The library of the Calvillo, by testament, passed to the parochial church of St. Mary Magdalene in Tarazona, and later, by papal intervention, to the cathedral of that city; cathedral inventories mention two pontificals, neither of which are certainly identifiable with the present volume (one, which belonged to Pedro Calvillo, “cum clausuris de argenteo,” the other “cum certis officiis”).1 See also D. Yates, “The Cathedral Library of Tarazona, Its Medieval Manuscripts and Benefactors,” The Journal of Library History 17 (1982) 268-77. Sold, Sotheby’s, 20 November 1923, lot 498 with a plate of f. 1 to Maggs for Henry E. Huntington.
Secundo folio: [Table of contents] reliquiis et aliis sanctuariis; [f. 4, Text] Vers. Gloria. Sicut eratBibliography: De Ricci, 89.
1 For much of this information, we are indebted to J. Escribano of the Centro de Estudios Turiasonenses.
C. W. Dutschke with the assistance of R. H. Rouse et al., Guide to Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Huntington Library (San Marino, 1989). Copyright 1989.
Henry E. Huntington Library and Art Gallery, San Marino, California.
Electronic version encoded by Sharon K, Goetz, 2003.
All rights to the cataloguing and images in Digital Scriptorium reside with the contributing institutions.